Quicker Anne?

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Quicker Anne?

Post by Rebel »

Am I cracking up, or does Anne move quite a bit faster in the beta? I never really took notice before, though having just played through the beach level, she sure as hell seemed a bit quicker covering the terrain.

For all I know, it's already been mentioned (don't know).
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Re: Quicker Anne?

Post by Dragonlord »

Maybe they added a greater push to her. Most probably got reduced so you can't just outrun raptors and company.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

No, in fact, IIRC she moves slower. She moves like the walk mode in the retail.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Unless you jump, then she leaps the distance of an Olympic Long Jumper :P
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Didn't increasing/decreasing the box under the Anne model affect Anne's speed?
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Yeah, that was an old trick we found out in the Diehard days to make Anne move faster.

Retail Anne runs at 30 MPH though :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The basic observation I had was that Beta running = Retail walking, Retail running = Lightspeed, and Beta walking = tiptoeing (or, realistic human walking, which no one's ever going to use in a game sadly).

What I liked about the beta is that you get hurt by run-jumping. Rather than turning on INVUL, I just "ran" everywhere, which is a slower speed that the retail, meaning the raptors posed a real threat and I got to feel more like I was really there.

You aren't the only one to say it feels faster in the Beta, though. Perhaps there's something else going on. Note that we figured out Beta Anne is shorter than Retail Anne. This might have its own effect on speed, depending on how they did it..
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

If retail running is lightspeed, I've got to sell my Tracker to science! :lol:
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Lightspeed? Anne "runs" like a person walking fast in the retail and "walks" slower than a turtle. I don't know about you but Anne should not be running the whole way, she would be damn exhausted. "Walking" is useless in this game.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Nick3069 wrote:Lightspeed? Anne "runs" like a person walking fast in the retail and "walks" slower than a turtle. I don't know about you but Anne should not be running the whole way, she would be damn exhausted. "Walking" is useless in this game.
Incorrect actually. What should have been done is allowing here to get exhausted like it is done often in newer games. This way walking speed should be a moderate speed for the player to explore their surroundings while allowing them to take a run if a raptor decided to test out the new cooking. It would tie in well with the survival/exploration character of the game. Besides they could have made it that running makes you easily spotted while walking might allow you to snuck past a raptor if he's not facing the right wind direction. Would have added to it without adding lots of code ( it's even damn simple to code if done right ).
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Dragonlord wrote:
Nick3069 wrote:Lightspeed? Anne "runs" like a person walking fast in the retail and "walks" slower than a turtle. I don't know about you but Anne should not be running the whole way, she would be damn exhausted. "Walking" is useless in this game.
Incorrect actually. What should have been done is allowing here to get exhausted like it is done often in newer games. This way walking speed should be a moderate speed for the player to explore their surroundings while allowing them to take a run if a raptor decided to test out the new cooking. It would tie in well with the survival/exploration character of the game. Besides they could have made it that running makes you easily spotted while walking might allow you to snuck past a raptor if he's not facing the right wind direction. Would have added to it without adding lots of code ( it's even damn simple to code if done right ).
yeah but most modern games, you sprint as fast as an Olympic Sprinter, and most of those games you're wearing 50-80 kilograms of equipment as well, and then once you 'get tired' you can still jog (still seems like running to me) while you recover, not a very real solution IMO.

And yeah at the 'wind' stuff, Carnivores implemented functioning AI that could 'smell' the player based on the wind direction, IIRC it was only around 30 lines of code.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Then I would recommend you to have a look once at Stalker ( any of the three titles works for that matter ). When you are out of breath you are back to walking speed which is reasonable. If you are out of breath from running you can still walk regaining your breath... that is unless you really went to your limits. But in this case you can add something like Jagged Alliance 2 used. When the stamina gets low you can only walk and if it gets too low you drop unconscious until you regained enough stamina to get walking again.
Christopher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by Christopher »

Urgh, I hate it when games only give you limited running time. It might vary the gameplay up and add some extra strategy ... but it frustrates the hell out of me. :P Detracts from the fun, IMO.
Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all." - Principal Skinner.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Depends on the game. If you are not supposed to be running all the time ( as for example in my game which is based on exploration/investigation ) then such a limit is not going to get you annoyed. A game like an FPS on the other hand can get annoying using it. But in general it applies also on your opponents so you can take advantage of them getting exhausted too.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I personally hate it when you have a character that gets exhausted in 5 seconds and you have to wait 3 minute for them to recharge and just to make you angrier they throw you into the middle of a large open environment and place your goal about 10 miles down the road :sick: