New (Old) level evidence: PH - Plantation House

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Website maintenance

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
machf wrote:Load a level into TresEd, extract the level info as text, then search for the string "baset2.bmp" and you'll find all those.
[...]
The use the PID block number with SWPext to extract the corresponding textures.
Aha. Those were all on TrnPlacement cubes. Lol damn you got me excited there for a moment... BE's base is the older PV terrain :lol:
Oh and btw. I figured out that the base textures were probably created in order to produce terrain palettes which would support all of a level's terrain objects. IJ build 96 actually uses the palette from the PHbase.
Looks like you're right, that's possibly the best reason for them to exist, especially if you look at the one from JR.
Eh? JR's is only solid green... But I'll bet well enough that it does use the JR 96 terrain palette.
That's what I mean, it's NOT a mini-map so the reason must be a different one, likely the palette it uses. Same with the BE one.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Re: New (Old) level evidence: PH - Plantation House

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

I really want to post a lot of theories on the level layout, but it would all be speculation at this point. This level would probably be a replacement (or the original) for IJ, and perhaps had the second monorail that is from this picture:

The objective I would guess, would be to continue to follow the monorail (continued from JR) which would lead to the town and you would try to enter through the now closed off gate in the town that isn't used. There would be some puzzle that would require exploring the southern (or west, depending on the map orientation) part of the level which would grant you access to inside the town.

perhaps the monorail went over a ravine or something, and instead of crossing you had to head far south (or west, depending on the map orientation) to get around the ravine?

does that make any sense? It's probably all wrong, but it's fun to speculate...
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Why? It's more likely you'd proceed towards the coast rom where JR ends, walk around in various directions throughout that area, and then meet with the start of IJ. Of course, the start of IJ wouldn't have been the same as it is now, it's likely it was modified in the same way the start of the Lab was after PV was removed...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Oh yeah, that seems more likely. I looked at the end of the Beach level (thinking it was the end of JR) and saw that it was close to the PH level, then I made my theory. I was wrong!

what you say makes a lot more sense.

what was the big Grey area for you think? a hill or a ravine? I assume that splotch would be the reason anne heads to the coast instead of following the monorail.

and could IJ1's open area where you meet the T-rex have been a part of the PH level? I've always had a suspicion that it could have lead to the town instead of linking to IJ2, but the level gap could be a genuine error.

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Don't know about that area, but whatever it was, it blocked the way back to JR. Maybe some cliffs...
In any case, the end of JR and the start of IJ don't quite match here; on one side you have a dirt road and monorail tracks, on the other there's a dry riverbed. It's likely this riverbed matches the one in PH leading to the beach, rather.

In fact, they both match quite well, as you can see here:
PH-IJ-Image2.png
PH-IJ-Image2.png (241.89 KiB) Viewed 19013 times
So, the end of JR was modified to match with the start of IJ, apparently, not the other way around. And that texture shows us areas of IJ. Hmmm...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

As for JR:
PH+JR.png
PH+JR.png (450.96 KiB) Viewed 19007 times
The greyish things lie behind the JR boundary, so whatever they are, who knows, they aren't a part of the level itself, apparently. PH starts on that light green area to the right of the bottom part.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And here's IT:
PH+IT.png
PH+IT.png (463.67 KiB) Viewed 18993 times
That light green area to the lower right is right next to it... I'm speculating that you'd follow the monorail tracks, find the way to the town blocked omehow (maybe a landslide?), and then proceeded to the Plantation House, Yacht Beach, and then followed the dry riverbed to IJ.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And here's the PH+IJ image redone in color to match the other ones:
PH+IJ.png
PH+IJ.png (692.78 KiB) Viewed 18985 times
So, the IJ base terrain was changed in order to match JR after PH was removed (but not immediately after, as shown by Beta 96).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

masterchiefoo7 wrote: what was the big Grey area for you think? a hill or a ravine? I assume that splotch would be the reason anne heads to the coast instead of following the monorail.
Hmmm, looking at it a bit more, it's the same color as the sea. I wonder if it's means as some sort of lake/reservoir... but it would be huge. And I don't think it's a river, either.
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Wow great research! You think that would would go to the town, and backtrack through a whole new level to find a way in? That doesn't seem very fluid to me.

anyways it looks like there was a lot more "mixing and matching" level than we thought.

what is the date for this beta? mid 1998?

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

About a month before the retail
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

masterchiefoo7 wrote:Wow great research! You think that would would go to the town, and backtrack through a whole new level to find a way in? That doesn't seem very fluid to me.
It's likely you'd follow the monorail towards the town and find the way blocked at some point, needing to look elsewhere (the town is surrounded by hills, right?). I wonder if those voiceovers Drac mentioned would place you on the track to the Plantation House and then to IJ. Not as much backtracking as turning to the left...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, I made a GIMP .xcf file with the various heightmaps as separate layers, and the PH texture in two different positions, all overlayed on Zandor's map scaled up to match. You can download it here, it's ~11MB:

http://rapidshare.com/files/334194737/SornaMap-XCF.rar

There's also a Photoshop .psd version for those who prefer it, it's ~15MB:

http://rapidshare.com/files/334216658/SornaMap-PSD.rar

The scale is 1pixel = 2 metres, with Trespasser's internal units being equal to 1 metre.

As I said, the PH texture is in two different positions, one corresponding to the images I've posted previously, and the other displaced 256 pixels so that the coastline matches beter Zandor's map. This introduces a few changes, the most significant being that IJ now doesn't match the end of the riverbed in PH but instead it connects with a brown blotch a little before the end of the riverbed which may be a fork...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

*kills self being forced to use rapid share*

Heyyy that's pretty cool. Love how it shows the mountain ridges across the island.

Needless to say, there's been a considerable amount of PH research over at TG. Buuut, I've got to catch some shut eye, I'll continue catching up tomorrow..
Still debating if I should start a separate PH thread, since the one at TG currently encompasses 4 pages. And the fate of TG is actually not known at this point, I may just want to bring in the important posts..

PS: Looking at where the IJ path pokes out of JR, it does seem pretty artificial..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: Heyyy that's pretty cool. Love how it shows the mountain ridges across the island.
At some point, we need to make a new map improving upon Zandor's... I've had this idea for quite some time. Now I've combined the heightmaps using layers, but thy aren't to the same vertical scale, I'm afraid...