Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Post by LCountach »

Thanks for the tip. Also, apologies. I guess I could have worded my previous post better. I do understand the .pid and .swp are needed. I just used the word "if" because I do not yet know if I will need to import props for all the levels. Some levels had cut items for performance or other reasons. Some dont. Some still have the props in the basement. I am now going through and adding those little details back where I feel they add something good back into the Trespasser experience.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I think include in some way in the name or similar that it is a "level patch" or "level fix" release, that way it won't be seen as releasing the game itself ;P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

This would be something like Sakke's LOD patch, or the Trespasser large patch.

BTW, what happened to Sakke's? Is it still available for download?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:This would be something like Sakke's LOD patch, or the Trespasser large patch.

BTW, what happened to Sakke's? Is it still available for download?
Yes and no. People with a link to it can access it but it is in an outdated folder (as ATX or CE achieve the same) but it can be moved back for view as well.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

If I might ask, what is TLC?
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

TLC stands for "Tender Loving Care". However, there was a girl group from way back that took that name. And a cable TV network called The Learning Channel.

How about "Trespasser - TLC Patch" and in the readme I have my name?
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

It seems a made a very strange decision back in 2013. I used the 1.0 versions of all the levels except maybe "Ingen Town". Not even sure on IT either. I have no idea why. I just read the readme for the EXE Only Patch and the Full Patch. The only difference noted is "Floating objects, Adjusted terrain texture resolution". Maybe... the terrain resolution was lower in 1.1? Maybe... I figured I was going to fix the the floating objects anyway? May... I'm just crazy? I really have no idea why I made that choice. Ohh well. I can't start over. There may be close to 100 hours in fixing just the plants and trees alone.

Anyone know if there were other differences in the level files from 1.0 to 1.1 other than the noted ones in the readme?
tatu

Post by tatu »

LCountach wrote:It seems a made a very strange decision back in 2013. I used the 1.0 versions of all the levels except maybe "Ingen Town". Not even sure on IT either. I have no idea why. I just read the readme for the EXE Only Patch and the Full Patch. The only difference noted is "Floating objects, Adjusted terrain texture resolution". Maybe... the terrain resolution was lower in 1.1? Maybe... I figured I was going to fix the the floating objects anyway? May... I'm just crazy? I really have no idea why I made that choice. Ohh well. I can't start over. There may be close to 100 hours in fixing just the plants and trees alone.

Anyone know if there were other differences in the level files from 1.0 to 1.1 other than the noted ones in the readme?
I know each level had some minor Terrain editing but I have never really bothered looking those up. That might be the "adjusted terrain texture resolution" (Terrain edit->Reduce the amount of big squares).
As for objects, for Town they removed the Microwave and added some Powerlines. Years ago me and Hilwo did an article about the differences: http://www.trescom.org/articles/differe ... patch-117/ You can use this as a reference what changes was made to the levels and either add or remove these depending on if you like them or not and still use the same Terrain files you have :)

My personal foliage height fix: Instead of going through each on their own, select them all and move them way up in the sky and then start placing them one at the time, that way is quicker than trying to find which ones that needs fixing. This is specially true for IJ as TresEd can't render that Terrain properly unless you go inside Terrain Edit Mode (which mean stuff can be fine in normal view but floating in-game), this is specially true around the first part of the level :)

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Thanks a bunch! I will check your link out.

As for the plants and stuff. I already did 90% of that editing back in 2013. Unfortunately its a bit too late to try your method. I also rotated the plants on steep hills so the side of the plant didn't disappear into the ground. I dont know if that's realistic but, that's what I did.

Anyone interested in play testing when I am finished? I would like a run through by other eyes before having it put up on the downloads page.
tatu

Post by tatu »

LCountach wrote:Thanks a bunch! I will check your link out.

As for the plants and stuff. I already did 90% of that editing back in 2013. Unfortunately its a bit too late to try your method. I also rotated the plants on steep hills so the side of the plant didn't disappear into the ground. I dont know if that's realistic but, that's what I did.

Anyone interested in play testing when I am finished? I would like a run through by other eyes before having it put up on the downloads page.
I understand, just a tip for the future (works great when wanting to do foliage for a new levels as well!). It might not be realistic but if we want realistic plants we would need to edit them all. That is what I always have done as well. :)

Being a foliage height fix expert myself I would love to check it out and see if I find any missing plants you missed ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tatu, you've got a new pupil. You should start The College Of Heightfix.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I have a few questions. First is about Henry Wu’s kitchen. The refrigerator doors are leaning inwards. In both build 116 and 117 they are like this. Was that intentional? What makes me think this is the screenshot from the back of the retail box. http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... nglish.jpg It clearly shows a fight going on in the kitchen. Maybe the doors were bent inwards during the fight?

Second question: There is a strategy guide that was written before Trespasser's release. It is often referred to for clues to what the devs intended but were cut from the game. What was the name of that guide? Also, was there ever a copy made available online in PDF or some other format? I ask this because I have been adding in many elements and props back in that were cut or broken. At least the ones I am able to anyway.

Third question: I have found that some Pine Valley sound effects are not in the retail .tpa files. Mostly from the Geothermal Plant. Because of this. When I play Pine Valley, I swap in the ones from build 96 into my install folder. Then swap back out again when playing further. Is there a way to edit/combine the missing sounds back into the retail .tpa files? And do those edits and not mess things up for the other levels? And without editing the sound triggers in the levels? Basically what I am trying to say is. I just want one set of functional .tpa files to rule them all.

Ohh yea, one last thing. There was a bunch of props that were never put in the game. I think they were released in the "Mystery Models Pack" as 3ds files. Ohh and by the way. The packs seem to be password protected with no password provided. Were those ever converted to tmp files that can be easily added into levels? I am looking for the drugs from the smugglers plane specifically.
tatu

Post by tatu »

First is about Henry Wu’s kitchen. The refrigerator doors are leaning inwards. In both build 116 and 117 they are like this. Was that intentional? What makes me think this is the screenshot from the back of the retail box. http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... nglish.jpg It clearly shows a fight going on in the kitchen. Maybe the doors were bent inwards during the fight?
The doors are probably just a bug. If you wanna "fix" them you could just use the mesh from Hammond's kitchen, they are the same.
The images on the back cover are clearly staged. Actually 3 of the back images are "fake". The T-Rex one you can clearly see it. The hand and gun is also used in this image: http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... Art05c.jpg
Along with the T-Rex being really similar to this: http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... ls/462.jpg
You can also notice that the chair legs are actually position perfectly in a 90 rotation and the colors are all wrong for a screenshot along with those cabinet doors are not possible to open in any build we have AFAIK :)
Second question: There is a strategy guide that was written before Trespasser's release. It is often referred to for clues to what the devs intended but were cut from the game. What was the name of that guide? Also, was there ever a copy made available online in PDF or some other format? I ask this because I have been adding in many elements and props back in that were cut or broken. At least the ones I am able to anyway.
Are you talking about the "walkthrough" from 1997? It can be downloaded from here (along with some other documents): https://app.box.com/s/q358y3cn6wgl5512yuc3myhesyt0k2rh
Third question: I have found that some Pine Valley sound effects are not in the retail .tpa files. Mostly from the Geothermal Plant. Because of this. When I play Pine Valley, I swap in the ones from build 96 into my install folder. Then swap back out again when playing further. Is there a way to edit/combine the missing sounds back into the retail .tpa files? And do those edits and not mess things up for the other levels? And without editing the sound triggers in the levels? Basically what I am trying to say is. I just want one set of functional .tpa files to rule them all.
If you are using ATX or CE you can create a custom TPA with TPAReader that only includes those sound effects and then make the game look for those (see the readme's of the patches how to). They can work on-top of the retail TPA's.
Ohh yea, one last thing. There was a bunch of props that were never put in the game. I think they were released in the "Mystery Models Pack" as 3ds files. Ohh and by the way. The packs seem to be password protected with no password provided. Were those ever converted to tmp files that can be easily added into levels? I am looking for the drugs from the smugglers plane specifically.
There are 2 "Mystery Models" packs in the download section. There haven't been any release of TMP files from those. However, the drugs from the Smuggler's Plane can be found in the JPDS Plains level if you wanna do it the easy way :)

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
Are you talking about the "walkthrough" from 1997? It can be downloaded from here (along with some other documents): https://app.box.com/s/q358y3cn6wgl5512yuc3myhesyt0k2rh
I think he means the book.
If you are using ATX or CE you can create a custom TPA with TPAReader that only includes those sound effects and then make the game look for those (see the readme's of the patches how to). They can work on-top of the retail TPA's.
No need to creat custom TPAs really, just use the ones from the Beta as customs without modifying them...
There are 2 "Mystery Models" packs in the download section. There haven't been any release of TMP files from those. However, the drugs from the Smuggler's Plane can be found in the JPDS Plains level if you wanna do it the easy way :)
I think he means "TPM" rather than "TMP". And aren't the drug crates also in some version of the TestScene or some other level, in one of the Betas?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

As a note, "TMP" is a TresEd typo, the official term is "TPM" which means TresPasserModel, not the German syntax "Time Manner Place", or the Star Trek "The Motion Picture".

Who knows the scoop on Mystery Model passwords?

He is def. refering to the Strategy Guide book. It's based on a pre-b116 version of the game and so has cut things in it such as the rex tooth in JR.

machf has it right. Best thing to do is use Tres CE (or ATX if you like) to incorporate additive TPA files that are the Beta TPAs. Importing sounds into retail TPA files is known to sometimes cause issues, so the above mentioned method is the best idea.