Development Timeline

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Development Timeline

Post by glitchhunter09 »

So After playing the PCgamer prototype, it's obvious that PH was added sometime between it and the E3 Demo (or it was added in the PCgamer prototype though I doubt it.) A text file that came with the PCgamer Prototype talks about All the stuff added with Plantation House. It also talks about updating IJ. Because we have the Prototypes it would seem BE,IT,PL,LAB,AS,and SUM were either not started on or still being worked on at this point in 3DSMax and not actually put ingame yet. Further support for this is the fact that we have a version of IT from June 1998 that's still in 3DS Max format and the PCGamer prototype was also created sometime in June.

We clearly know that JR was in its very early stages in April of 1998 as we have a 3DS max file for that as well. It seems that some of the object placement wasn't good enough for the team because by the PCgamer prototype the trees found in the 3DS max version had been removed along with a few other objects. In fact, the version of JR in the PCgamer prototype is both buggy and pretty bare bones as far as implementation goes.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Development Timeline

Post by tatu »

Both the E3 and PCGamer builds are not complete game builds. For one they are only preview builds, which mean they would never put the whole game on them, in case of a leak or showing off too much of the game. I am pretty sure all other levels (BE, IT, (PL), LAB, AS and SUM) where worked on in the same progress as those seen.

As for the PCGamer JR build. I don't think they removed the Trees or any foliage, they just didn't imported it into that current build.

Another interesting thing about the PCGamer JR build is that is lacks a lot of terrain textures, just like the retail version, comparing to any other Trespasser level. For me I find it JR is and was very incomplete in many ways when released.

Also. One thing I only thought about this year. The retail disc we obtained from that Assembler guy says something like "Trespasser 116d BETA", which makes me believe the game was actually released during it's beta phase, and they never got the time to do a final version of the game. So Trespasser could kinda be count as a beta game all along.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah, seems that way and would probably be obvious given the incomplete state of the game. btw I'm working on the TCRF article again and I'm doing a page for the PCGamer prototype atm. (I actually figured the PCgamer proto was older until I started comparing dates) And what you said might be true as well.

I still kinda wanna get my hands on some of the other levels at some point. Namely Plains and the prototype version of Beach (dunno why Beach interests me, it just does) Wonder if Blackley has those floating around. Probably not.
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:I still kinda wanna get my hands on some of the other levels at some point. Namely Plains and the prototype version of Beach (dunno why Beach interests me, it just does) Wonder if Blackley has those floating around. Probably not.
Same here. Looking how both JR and IJ was more open in earlier stage I believe BE might have been a bit more open too at some point. In any case I would like to have one (or more) earlier stage of BE, PL, LAB, AS1, AS2 and SUM. Even if they they would not contain too much new or interesting stuff it would be fun to see the development of the game.

He might, who knows. If he does, and find them, I do know he will tell :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."