Here's the ph para

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Here's the ph para

Post by glitchhunter09 »

What's different about the PH Para and the one in Build 96 other than the lack of collision? I played PH but I didn't notice anything different about it. Also, I imagine the textures were much better res in earlier builds. I mean, even if most of the early screenshots were in 3DS Max there's no reason they should look this awful ingame. The Raptors are a fine example of this. Too bad we didn't get the 1997 E3 proto. =( In his interview, Austin Grossman said there was a hires Green Rex in there.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Well, they never had a 1997 E3 proto since AFAIK the engine was not being build until late 1997/early 1998. Screens we've seen and some really early videos are just 3ds Max renders, not actually game shoots.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Then why did Austin Grossman bring up 1997 E3 in his interview? Also, there was definitely a clear quality decrease in the model at some point in production.

Proof:
Finally, what can you say for yourself was the best and worst thing you learned from the entire Trespasser experience? And if you could, would you do any of it differently?

Best thing: taking our demo to the 1997 E3 in Atlanta. We had basic physics running and a high-res bump-mapped Tyrannosaur, and no one had seen anything like it, ever. We felt like kings!

Worst thing was just the exhaustion of crunch mode. Everyone gets cranky and sleep-deprived and it's really hard to remember you're doing something fun.

I admit I'd do things differently. We were packing a lot of new, experimental ideas into one game and immediately started building on a very large scale. We should have started with a small prototype and got a sense of how combat and puzzles and outdoor environments all worked together before we went big. But I've never been sorry we tried new and ambitious ideas rather than playing safe.

Rich Wyckoff wrote a very accurate account of what went right and wrong for Game Developer magazine.
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Oh sorry! My mistake. Still, it was probably only a simple one with animation, nothing like the Trespasser engine.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Still wanna get my hands on that version of the model, regardless. I still don't understand why DWI nerfed the textures so much. The model, yeah I can understand but doing a single texture thing was a bad move IMO. Guess it doesn't matter because it got dropped anyway. Maybe Second Illiteration can make a reproduction for the JPOG Rex or something.