The Hidden Valley between the beta and final.

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

The Hidden Valley between the beta and final.

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Most of you already know by now that there's a huge amount of differences between the hidden valley in the beta and final. However, one thing was left unchanged. The fact that there's no dinosaurs here in the final AND beta. This leads me to think that they had already started removing the valley by beta 96 slowly.
My reasons for this belief are:
-the valley lacks dinosaurs and seems to not have any real importance between the beta and final.
-It seems strange that there wouldn't be dinosaurs in this spot. Especially since a Triceratops is close by in the final.
-The beta has more trees that the final in this area but no dinosaurs to boot.
-It only seems natural you'd encounter at least one or two dinosaurs here.
-Beta 96 is pretty close to the final in terms of what's there and the actual number of builds between the two.(final being beta/build 116.)

So regardless if it had any purpose before build 96, it seems pretty clear to me that the devs had already intended on abandoning it by build 96. However, this is just a theory based on my dealing with betas of other video games. The most prominent being Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2's beta. Hidden Palace was left unaltered early on and just left abandoned. It remains unchanged between the Nick Arcade Alpha build and the Simon Wai prototype. In the final, the data exist but the graphics data is completely removed resulting in a garbled mess and Sonic and Tails falling to their deaths. Of course, Trespasser is different so who knows?

Though personally, I'm sticking with this theory until more evidence comes out to disprove it. (god, I think I'm beginning to sound like Draco a little lol.)
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: The Hidden Valley between the beta and final.

Post by Hilwo »

The hidden valley is also mentioned in the strategy guide. It is mentioned to be a
looong 'shortcut' devoid of dinosaurs and thus, avoids a lot of opposition.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

IIRC the official walkthrough mention it belonged to PH first?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Hm. Makes sense though at the same time, it seems unrealistic that dinosaurs wouldn't be in there. Especially since the island is infested by them. I think if I ever decide to take the wheel of the Tres reloaded project, I might put a couple of dinosaus in it. Though maybe gentle plant eaters so it's still devoid of danger. Makes a lot more sense that there wouldn't be carnivores in the valley if the gentle plant eaters were large enough. Perhaps a Brachiosaurus or something like that?
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Well it wasn't originally intended to be dinosaur infested, as such, remember... A few herbivores sounds good to me..
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah. Being a valley, it would have a few dinos in it, but only a few because of the fact there isn't easy access aside from two ways. A stego and perhaps a couple of brachs should do it. Or maybe a couple of Stegos and a brach. I dunno lol.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

The valley is also (indirectly) mentioned in an in-game hint which also still exists in the retail version.
Something about there being two ways or more than one way to explore, though it'd be best to remember
where you left the monorail.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

I think someone tried to re-do the stampede a long time ago, but I don't think it worked that well... Also, I think the file has sadly dissapeared.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The hidden valley also has multiple voice-overs hidden inside it, if you look closely at it, and I do believe it was for the PH level and where you would find the house and the hunters camp along with the chase dinos as mentioned in the original walk-through. I found at least 3 separate voice-overs there inside mountain regions that point to this. Since the ph level was dropped, it served no more purpose and was straight out abandoned. I am working slowly and carefully to restore the things I found there, and set it as the original ph level, and you will see soon what I mean.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

You mean these?

Early '98 april beta

Build 96 beta

Retail
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

along with the one near the end of the hidden valley.. ya those.. plus the dead end music inside the part of the mountain near the monorail
tatu

Post by tatu »

The voiceovers found inside the mountain and outside of the play area were not meant to go into PH. If you are using the terrain from the Studio Max Jungle Road v04, those voiceovers are correctly placed in the Hidden Valley. They are displaced because they changed the terrain later on (the mountain between the monorail and Hidden Valley became smaller for example).
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

ahhh ok I wasnt aware.. but at least someone else knows of them
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks Tatu. And yeah, I was going to mention, the hidden valley is clearly an original part of JR. I kinda think it's there in JR in the walkthrough that includes PH... And the old JR version Tatu got for us has the hidden valley as well as no suitable location for the Plantation House itself, which surely was still in PH.