Accuracy Bonus Box

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Accuracy Bonus Box

Post by tatu »

I'm not aware if this can be found in the retai TestScene level, but I found this in build 96's TestScene level the other day. Not sure this have been discussed before.
AccBox.jpg
AccBox.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 16482 times
Added: Object name is "PAccyBox-00", texture name is "PAccy00t2.bmp" and it does not have any script.
Predator_X
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Re: Accuracy Bonus Box

Post by Predator_X »

interesting maybe they originally were going to have scoring and a leader board or something like that
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

First time I've even heard of the idea of scoring in Trespasser... I bet it's an idea that was scrapped early in development before they even implemented it.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
tatu

Post by tatu »

Probably. The box doesn't have any script at all and I couldn't seem to find a trigger with it either.
For anyone interested in it, it's near the vocals in the level.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

I don't think this would be related to "score" in the traditional sense. It is more likely what they planned was different noises or effects depending on how well you shot a dinosaur, be it howling in pain or a meaty *SHICK* or both. It's just speculation, but I assume it would have been used in a capacity to add an effect to combat in different ways
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

There are voice overs that support that, Psychological. Namely the phrases for Anne taking out or hitting dinosaurs with a gun.

Whatever it once was, I'd assume it ended up being a placeholder texture like the more common "Dummy Object" texture. And that box was related to a trigger of some sort that was either removed before build 96 or added before but not finished.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Accuracy Bonus is a trait by my understanding. You pick it up and all your weapons become more accurate. The box may have been the trigger and the texture displayed on screen when activated. It is possible some members of the team experimented with such boosters. The Quad Damage is related to it in my opinion.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Some of the info in the developers notes through the source code.. spoke of some type of beginner intermediate and expert modes I wonder about that part.. could they have been trying to give better accuracy to those that played through each of the difficulties.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

It's hard for me to imagine when and where they would display "ACCURACY BONUS" then. The game starts and ends with a video sequence and the main menu code uses a different rendering scheme where all textures are loaded as .tga from the 'menu' folder.

It is more likely that a few guys on the team were inspired by Quake which arrived in May 1996. It offered Easy, Normal, Hard and Nightmare as difficulties and had short term boosters scattered around the levels, such as invulnerability, anti-toxic/diving suit or 4 x damage which was shaped like the Quake logo. The latter can also be found as a 4 x damage melee weapon in Trespasser. Quake was also the first first-person-shooter that used 3D models for all in-game objects, replacing the 2D sprites from earlier games, such as their previous title Doom or Terra Nova (the game that Trespasser's lead developer Seamus Blackly worked on previously).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tatu, the image is now gone.. What does this thing look like? What's the object/texture name?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tatu, the image is now gone.. What does this thing look like? What's the object/texture name?
New image uploaded and texture name posted. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Interesting... I get the impression it was made because some dev(s) liked the idea from another game and put in the idea early, hoping it would stay..