Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Pine Valley - Fixed Up Version

Post by LCountach »

tatu wrote:The doors are probably just a bug. If you wanna "fix" them you could just use the mesh from Hammond's kitchen, they are the same.
The images on the back cover are clearly staged. Actually 3 of the back images are "fake". The T-Rex one you can clearly see it. The hand and gun is also used in this image: http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... Art05c.jpg
Along with the T-Rex being really similar to this: http://www.trescom.org/wp-content/uploa ... ls/462.jpg
You can also notice that the chair legs are actually position perfectly in a 90 rotation and the colors are all wrong for a screenshot along with those cabinet doors are not possible to open in any build we have AFAIK :)
I totally agree with you that the fight was staged. I just thought they may be using it as a story element as to why the doors are bent in. They are easy enough to fix. I'm was just not sure why they were tilted.
machf wrote:
tatu wrote: aren't the drug crates also in some version of the TestScene or some other level, in one of the Betas?
Yes the Bagota crates are in the test scene and in the same level's basement the plane is in "Industrial Jungle". What I am looking for is the taped up bundles themselves. https://tcrf.net/File:TresPDrugBundles.png I will be sure to check out the JPDS Plains level.

As for the TPA and sound effects stuff. I... may be getting in over my head with that.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I think he means the book.
I just thought the design document fitted more as the Strategy Guide doesn't have that much that the devs cut, specially not anything that is not present in one of the builds we have. The only thing would be (that Hilwo notice) is a skeleton present in AS1 in the Strategy Guide but it is not present in any of the builds we have. Anyhow, here is the strategy guide: https://app.box.com/s/z6gyy67hnp6h8bk0lm6yucrvzsju64lh

Fun fact: The Strategy Guide is based on more than one build: Looking at the images you can notice how both Anne from Build 96 and Retail is present.
I think he means "TPM" rather than "TMP". And aren't the drug crates also in some version of the TestScene or some other level, in one of the Betas?
Yes, TPM. He talks about the Drug bundle and not the crate itself :) I can't look right now but I guess AS1 from Build 96 might have the Drug bundle as well as the Airplane in that level have the crate along with it.
As for the TPA and sound effects stuff. I... may be getting in over my head with that.
Don't worry, as they are important for PV we are happy to help :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Wow the Strategy Guide is great! I have some reading to do.

You were also correct about the plane and drug bundles being in AS1 96. I would have never guessed or found it. They weren't in the normal play area or in the basement. They were buried off in an unused portion of the terrain. Very strange.

Also thanks for offering to help with the sound thing. I will get back to you on that one.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I just found a very interesting bug. I have started working on Pine Valley again for a few more little touches. It seems that "Trespasser CE" doesn't allow you to complete the main puzzle. However ATX does. Whats missing is the initial green lights in the control room for the complete puzzle to finish. You can do all the normal steps in CE. Its just the lights that usually start out green start red and stay red when playing the level in CE.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

I found another strange... bug? In the turbine room where there are three levers and three dials/gauges. I can remember in the past having to mess with the three levers to make the light come on in the control room. I dont seem to have to do that anymore. I did a fresh install of build 96 on another PC and it is the same. The turbine room dials are active and the green light comes for the turbine after turning the 2 big red valve/wheels outside. I dont remember it being like that. How about anyone else?

Note: I am running ATX2.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Interesting. I was afraid that some of Lee's mods in CE would interfere with how scripting works. Actually witnessed it at least once, myself. We ought to bring this up with him.

Tatu, for the Anne-version differences in the strategy guide, my suspicion is that a single build, the one used, contained multiple versions of Anne, similar to old and new versions of the Pine terrain being in b96.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Interesting. I was afraid that some of Lee's mods in CE would interfere with how scripting works. Actually witnessed it at least once, myself. We ought to bring this up with him.
OTOH, it could be due to differences between the Beta 96 and Retail engine...
Tatu, for the Anne-version differences in the strategy guide, my suspicion is that a single build, the one used, contained multiple versions of Anne, similar to old and new versions of the Pine terrain being in b96.
Yes, Build 55 for example has different player meshes on different levels, and I think the earlier ones do so too.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Update on my progress. For the moment, I am done with all the little imports and add ins to the levels of things that were cut or unfinished. (I may find more things to tweak.) I am now working on plants again. I am tediously walking/playing through the levels and fixing any plants or items that are out of place. This... could take longer than anticipated. When walking through the levels. It gives a different perspective than flying around in TresEd. Also the shadows ingame help greatly in determining if an item is placed properly or not. Additionally playing in software rendering instead of Direct3D is helpful. When items are sunken into the ground. You can visually see the polygons Z-Fighting to be displayed. I am also finding TresEd is not very accurate drawing the terrain. This leads to misplaced items that require much back and forth tweaking in TresEd and testing ingame.

Ohh, and I still need to assign Pine Valley it's own TPA files from build 96 some how. I have no idea how to do this step. Now is the time I need some help with this.
tatu

Post by tatu »

LCountach wrote:I am also finding TresEd is not very accurate drawing the terrain. This leads to misplaced items that require much back and forth tweaking in TresEd and testing ingame.
You can go into "Terrain Edit Mode" to get a proper view of the terrain. You can't select an object in that mode but you can move whatever object you have selected before (just make sure to not save any changes made when exiting it).
LCountach wrote:Ohh, and I still need to assign Pine Valley it's own TPA files from build 96 some how. I have no idea how to do this step. Now is the time I need some help with this.
Instructions for CE:

First rename the TPA files (Stream, Ambient and Effects) from Build 96 to something like B96Strean, B96Ambient, B96Effects.
Put an fm.ini file (found in the doc folder in the CE download) in the folder where the levels are along with the "new" TPA ones (renaming them helps avoiding replacing the retail if using the data folder).
Open the fm.ini file and modify these lines:

Code: Select all

;EffectsTPA+=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=Ambient.tpa
To

Code: Select all

;EffectsTPA+=B96Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=B96Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=B96Ambient.tpa
(Be aware to change the lines containing the "+" and not the ones above it). This way the Build 96 TPA's should get loaded ontop of the retail ones and only take sounds not found in the retail TPAs :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to try that out when I jump back into TresEd.

I believe I can follow the instructions you gave for the TPA files. However, I have a question. Will that work for ATX2 as well? I have found that Pine Valley's scripts do not work when played in CE.
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Unfortunately the Terrain editing tip didn't work out. I am still grateful for the help though. Here is an example of how this hill at the end of Pine Valley isn't rendered correctly by TresEd. Even in Terrain Edit mode. You can see how back in 2013 I moved all the plants to be on the hill in TresEd and how ingame they are now floating. I didn't even realize there was a rock buried there until walking by it ingame. Its not the end of the world. Its just far more difficult to fix items like these.

Also quick question. Can we upload images directly here in the TresCom forums or do we need to use external imaging hosting sites?

Last edited by LCountach on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You can attach images, but they can't be resized that way...

And TresEd doesn't display terrain properly because back then they (Andres James and whoever may have helped him) hacked the terrain algorithm and didn't get it quite right... as you've already been told, use Terrain Edit mode to see how the terrain actually is set up...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Tatu I was able to follow your instructions for the TPA stuff. I am happy to say it seems to work in ATX as well. Thanks for the help!
LCountach
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by LCountach »

Another little update. I have a few levels in what I would call a finished state. I was just playing through Pine Valley on another PC with a fresh install of 1.1. No ATX or CE. Just the Official 1.1 Patched EXE. I was reminded of a few bugs in Pine Valley I don't know how to fix.

#1: The teeth of both the raptors and T-Rex are strangely colored. Like they were eating rainbow candy.

#2: When the T-Rex bites the dead trike after they fight. A basketball sound effect plays instead of the bite sound.

#3: There is supposed to be an ambient electrical sound around the power grid in the geothermal plant. I don't know if it should always be active or triggered in some way. Unfortunately it never plays. I dont know enough about scripting to really solve this problem. I can poke around but... that is about it.

Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.
tatu

Post by tatu »

#1: The teeth of both the raptors and T-Rex are strangely colored. Like they were eating rainbow candy.
Export the base raptor (Usually named RaptorA/RaptorB/RaptorC etc). Replace those textures from another retail level of the same raptor, import it again by only replacing the base mesh and replace the textures.
#2: When the T-Rex bites the dead trike after they fight. A basketball sound effect plays instead of the bite sound.
That indicates a missing sound. It is possible it is only present in Build 96 TPA and playing it without ATX and CE will not use those.
#3: There is supposed to be an ambient electrical sound around the power grid in the geothermal plant. I don't know if it should always be active or triggered in some way. Unfortunately it never plays. I dont know enough about scripting to really solve this problem. I can poke around but... that is about it.
As you need to start the power grid (with the levers and buttons) it should only play after that. I haven't taken a close look at it yet so I can't say much how to fix it.