Beta Build(s) Installation Help

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

ClassicGamer81
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Beta Build(s) Installation Help

Post by ClassicGamer81 »

Greetings everyone!!

Long time JP Fan here! [BIG shocker I know!]

I first played Trespasser when it first came out, around 1999 or so, it was a Christmas gift. I found myself getting easily frustrated, but still intrigued by the game...but after not getting far, and killing, as well as getting killed by, many raptors, I sadly gave up on the game. But found myself over the years, attempting to give the game another shot with varied success.

One aspect of the game I really liked was Hammond's voice overs. which led me to discovering Jurassic Time, which is exactly what I was hoping existed somewhere [So I wouldn't have to attempt the project myself :p] As well as Klayton's playthrough, which inspired me recently to want to give the game yet another shot, now being a little older, wider, and more patient with such things.

So...nostalgia aside...the point of my post;

Windows 10 does not like the beta builds! Apparently I don't have the appropriate Pentium Processor and no other will do!
Aaaand the PCGamer build asks for an installation disk...

Any tips on how to get these rare versions to work with Windows 10??
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Beta Build(s) Installation Help

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!

I know people have had mixed result from getting the early builds to run properly.
Try running and installing the game as an administrator (right click and run as admin) and be sure to install it outside of Program Files.

For the processor issue I remember someone said a workaround is to delete a .dll in the game folder named process.dll or something similar :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
ClassicGamer81
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by ClassicGamer81 »

Welcome to TresCom!

I know people have had mixed result from getting the early builds to run properly.
Try running and installing the game as an administrator (right click and run as admin) and be sure to install it outside of Program Files.

For the processor issue I remember someone said a workaround is to delete a .dll in the game folder named process.dll or something similar
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's nice to see this very underrated game getting some love!

Well, I was able to get the beta installed, turned out the 'retail' version was clashing so I just uninstalled that one...

I have read that it's possible to have more than one copy of the game installed through editing the registry...any tips on how to accomplish this? If possible I'd like to have installed (for novelty purposes):

- 'Retail'
- 'Build 55'
- E3
- PCGamer (Or one of the other, depending on recommendations and any 'major' differences (Pine Valley and Plantation levels I've heard about?)

Which versions are recommended for the 'best' 'Trespasser Evolution' Experience?

Sorry about all the questions...the joys of being a newbie! :D
tatu

Post by tatu »

Thank you for the warm welcome! It's nice to see this very underrated game getting some love!
It is, and it is great we have a community that is active even 20 years later :)
Well, I was able to get the beta installed, turned out the 'retail' version was clashing so I just uninstalled that one...
Yes, that appears to be the issue on modern OS, and sometimes even uninstalling it won't remove all the registry stuff.
Which versions are recommended for the 'best' 'Trespasser Evolution' Experience?
I would say E3 (For all levels in it)
PCGamer (For mainly PH, tho IJ had one small change which you would notice). PV only got added some staircase to the GeoPlant. JR is kinda cool but,
55 for JR as it is PCGamer but will all the foliage and some other minor changes. PV got some changes but some stuff removed from earlier ones. LAB is worth checking out tho it can crash very easily. And of course BE and SUM is quite cool cause they are in their early staged.
96 cause it got some interesting differences before they started to really cut down on the levels for release.

Builds between 96 and retail can actually be installed like the Demo, as it can use the tpass.ini file to run them without an installation (Thanks to Hilwo for discovering that).

As for Build 55 and earlier, you can use this:
TrespasserE3PCGamer_PreInstall_FixedRegFinal.7z
(645 Bytes) Downloaded 495 times
I made it for E3 and PCGamer build but you can edit one to work with Build 55 and make sure it uses the paths you are using, then just use the clean one when you wanna play another build.

Hope this helps :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome to Jurassic Weld...

Cool to see people coming in from Klayton's vids. Hundreds of people are, I noticed, currently watching Trespasser videos done by him.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: 55 for JR as it is PCGamer but will all the foliage and some other minor changes. PV got some changes but some stuff removed from earlier ones. LAB is worth checking out tho it can crash very easily.
LAB has a tougher puzzle to proceed upwards from the Harbor into the Lab, which I find interesting and successfully managed to solve... but I wonder how many others would, and how many would feel frustrated trying to solve it adequately.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Eh wha! It crashed too much for me, what was the tougher puzzle?
tatu

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
tatu wrote: 55 for JR as it is PCGamer but will all the foliage and some other minor changes. PV got some changes but some stuff removed from earlier ones. LAB is worth checking out tho it can crash very easily.
LAB has a tougher puzzle to proceed upwards from the Harbor into the Lab, which I find interesting and successfully managed to solve... but I wonder how many others would, and how many would feel frustrated trying to solve it adequately.
Oh, I never got around playing it really as it crashed as soon as I moved, but it appears to be very individual if it crashes.
Draconisaurus wrote:Eh wha! It crashed too much for me, what was the tougher puzzle?
To get it to not crash ;P

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lol. A specific coordinate pathway through the RR shipping containers.....
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

It was the capacitor puzzle I think, I got that to work in b55 as well. It's a little tricky, though.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wha. I can't remember what I figured out, there..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hilwo wrote:It was the capacitor puzzle I think, I got that to work in b55 as well. It's a little tricky, though.
There is actually a specific actiontype for that one but I am not sure how well tested it is. It is totally doable to fix the puzzle, the trick is to get the weight to work (which it might as they cut it, or they cut it cause testers found it too difficult).

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
machf wrote:
Oh, I never got around playing it really as it crashed as soon as I moved, but it appears to be very individual if it crashes.
Draconisaurus wrote:Eh wha! It crashed too much for me, what was the tougher puzzle?
To get it to not crash ;P
I mean that not only do you need to get the green keycard to open the gate from the Harbor towards the Lab, but the card reader is on the other side of the fence and has fallen down... so you have to
Spoiler: show
extend your arm through the gap in the fence next to the gate, drop the green keycard on the other side, and then push it with a stick or something until it gets close enough to the reader that it recognized it and opens the gate.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh dude I barely remember that. Sounds sweet. Too bad they didn't keep it, that sounds like it would be an iconic memory.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Oh dude I barely remember that. Sounds sweet. Too bad they didn't keep it, that sounds like it would be an iconic memory.
Nah, it would be like people today who complains a game is too hard if they have to think a bit in an adventure game.
And by that I mean there are people who gets annoyed when the game doesn't tell you exactly what to do :P