Gameplay/atmosphere possibilities?

65 million years in the making - hppav's Isla Nublar mod!

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Gameplay/atmosphere possibilities?

Post by hppav »

I'm thinking of bringing back the original vision of having "artifacts" that Jill will find and take to a drop location on the shore during the game. Give it back some of the Oblivion Lost feel that the game originally was going to have. (This is conveyed by Isla Nublar being a restricted zone and inside you find mutants (dinosaurs) and artifacts while trying to dig deeper into the mystery).

The artifacts are pieces of evidence that prove the events of Jurassic Park occurred. These would be found mainly in the Visitor Village, Safari Lodge, and Visitor Center complexes as well as the park and East Dock areas. What pieces of evidence you collect will determine what events happen in that particular level and in the last level (the shoreline level) it will determine whether you get a false ending or continue on to the underwater facility.

As for atmosphere, I would like to bring back the "Ghosts of Jurassic Park" idea, where you walk around and hear unexplainable noises, see shadows and figures, hear voices, etc. Give the abandoned facilities a scarier feeling than what is usually seen in a Trespasser level. I admit, even though the buildings are awesome, they are too quiet and too dead in the game. These events could potentially add some depth to the locations and would be something new. Also add in some ambient sounds like air passing through the buildings, creepy music, etc.

I played quite a bit of STALKER lately and I like the feel the game has but it lacks explorability. I want all the buildings to be 100% explorable, as if someone actually left in a hurry and didn't bother to lock 90% of the doors in the places :P

We need a composer for music as well as some people for Voice Overs, but since we are so early in development there's no reason to be too worried about that now, feel free to throw out some suggestions. I don't want to add tons of features to the list of things to put in (feature creeping), but we need to have something to set this mod out from all the rest :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Gameplay/atmosphere possibilities?

Post by Draconisaurus »

hppav wrote:I'm thinking of bringing back the original vision of having "artifacts" that Jill will find and take to a drop location on the shore during the game. Give it back some of the Oblivion Lost feel that the game originally was going to have. (This is conveyed by Isla Nublar being a restricted zone and inside you find mutants (dinosaurs) and artifacts while trying to dig deeper into the mystery).
Hmmmm. "Oblivion Lost".. a google image turns up a bunch of STALKER pics. o_O What's this about? They seem to be in the Oblivion engine..
The artifacts are pieces of evidence that prove the events of Jurassic Park occurred. These would be found mainly in the Visitor Village, Safari Lodge, and Visitor Center complexes as well as the park and East Dock areas. What pieces of evidence you collect will determine what events happen in that particular level and in the last level (the shoreline level) it will determine whether you get a false ending or continue on to the underwater facility.
Problem there is that you can't "talk" to other levels of the game. Any artifact events which change game routes would have to occur within that level.. I can think of some more complicated SCN loading techniques but you'll have to chat with me about that, as it's entirely experimental. I might want to do a demo of it sometime.
As for atmosphere, I would like to bring back the "Ghosts of Jurassic Park" idea, where you walk around and hear unexplainable noises, see shadows and figures, hear voices, etc. Give the abandoned facilities a scarier feeling than what is usually seen in a Trespasser level. I admit, even though the buildings are awesome, they are too quiet and too dead in the game. These events could potentially add some depth to the locations and would be something new. Also add in some ambient sounds like air passing through the buildings, creepy music, etc.
In total agreement.
I played quite a bit of STALKER lately and I like the feel the game has but it lacks explorability. I want all the buildings to be 100% explorable, as if someone actually left in a hurry and didn't bother to lock 90% of the doors in the places :P
:yum: Good idea.
We need a composer for music as well as some people for Voice Overs, but since we are so early in development there's no reason to be too worried about that now, feel free to throw out some suggestions. I don't want to add tons of features to the list of things to put in (feature creeping), but we need to have something to set this mod out from all the rest :P
:P One thing I learned from JPDS is that you should not even go around looking for composers until you have a significant amount of material from your game (concept art if applicable but also renders and screenshots) for the composer to use as inspiration for the music. And as for voiceovers - we all learned through Trespasser that you do not record voiceovers until your gameplay is virtually finalized. My personal suggestion is to make mock-voiceovers yourself and actually place these in the game where you want, changing and making new ones as you go - or even just overlay text, though sometimes it's not as effective.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:
hppav wrote:I'm thinking of bringing back the original vision of having "artifacts" that Jill will find and take to a drop location on the shore during the game. Give it back some of the Oblivion Lost feel that the game originally was going to have. (This is conveyed by Isla Nublar being a restricted zone and inside you find mutants (dinosaurs) and artifacts while trying to dig deeper into the mystery).
Hmmmm. "Oblivion Lost".. a google image turns up a bunch of STALKER pics. o_O What's this about? They seem to be in the Oblivion engine..
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Oblivion Lost (Original version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl)
Draconisaurus wrote:
Problem there is that you can't "talk" to other levels of the game. Any artifact events which change game routes would have to occur within that level.. I can think of some more complicated SCN loading techniques but you'll have to chat with me about that, as it's entirely experimental. I might want to do a demo of it sometime.
You misunderstood. What artifacts you find would effect only that particular level..... And the artifacts you find in the last level determine what ending you get.
Draconisaurus wrote:
In total agreement.
Draconisaurus wrote:
:yum: Good idea.
*thumbs up* :P
Draconisaurus wrote:
:P One thing I learned from JPDS is that you should not even go around looking for composers until you have a significant amount of material from your game (concept art if applicable but also renders and screenshots) for the composer to use as inspiration for the music. And as for voiceovers - we all learned through Trespasser that you do not record voiceovers until your gameplay is virtually finalized. My personal suggestion is to make mock-voiceovers yourself and actually place these in the game where you want, changing and making new ones as you go - or even just overlay text, though sometimes it's not as effective.
"but since we are so early in development there's no reason to be too worried about that now"
I am aware of everything you said :P That's how Bungie does it. Joe Staten mocks all the VOs in the Halo Games before they make real VOs later on

EDIT: Saw this as a comment on a YTMND page :P:
______________¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶__¶¶___¶¶_¶¶___¶¶_¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶______________ _____________¶¶_____¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶___¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶¶___¶¶________________ _____________¶¶_¶¶¶_¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶___¶¶__¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶¶_¶_¶¶_¶¶_¶_¶¶_¶¶___¶¶________________ _____________¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶___¶¶__¶¶_¶¶__¶¶_¶¶___¶¶_¶¶___¶¶_¶¶___¶¶________________ ______________¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶__¶¶_¶¶___¶¶_¶¶___¶¶_¶¶___¶¶________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________ ¶¶¶___¶__¶__¶¶__¶¶¶_¶¶¶___¶¶¶_¶__¶_¶¶¶__¶¶___¶__¶__¶¶___¶¶_¶_¶_¶¶¶_¶¶_____¶¶_¶¶___¶¶__¶¶_ _¶____¶__¶_¶__¶__¶__¶______¶__¶__¶__¶__¶_____¶__¶_¶__¶_¶___¶¶__¶___¶_¶___¶___¶_¶_¶__¶_¶_¶ _¶____¶¶¶¶_¶¶¶¶__¶__¶¶¶____¶__¶¶¶¶__¶___¶____¶¶¶¶_¶¶¶¶_¶___¶___¶¶¶_¶¶____¶___¶¶__¶¶¶¶_¶¶_ _¶____¶__¶_¶__¶__¶__¶______¶__¶__¶__¶____¶___¶__¶_¶__¶_¶___¶¶__¶___¶_¶___¶___¶_¶_¶__¶_¶__ ¶¶¶___¶__¶_¶__¶__¶__¶¶¶____¶__¶__¶_¶¶¶_¶¶____¶__¶_¶__¶__¶¶_¶_¶_¶¶¶_¶_¶____¶¶_¶_¶_¶__¶_¶__
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

LMAO!!!

And lol I'd like to hear some of those mock VOs..
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIHDAVit ... re=related
At 2:20 :P

The whole video series is pretty awesome though :P

(The annoying part is when I go to reply here and suddenly the browser will back out from the reply box and I have to click Forward to go back to the reply screen :O. Also the favicon seems to have disappeared on my end.)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh Lord, look out, cause it's rainin' Brutes, baby!
:lol:
Jeez, a brute boarding a warthog, wtf :|
hppav wrote:(The annoying part is when I go to reply here and suddenly the browser will back out from the reply box and I have to click Forward to go back to the reply screen :O.
Hmmm not sure if I've experienced that..
Also the favicon seems to have disappeared on my end.)
Yeah. It seems to appear and disappear randomly since the swap, while you're browsing..
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Let's order up a patch before the ship sinks :P