Return of hppav's updates! Update 12-24-09 VC Exterior

65 million years in the making - hppav's Isla Nublar mod!

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 7-24-09 *Explorer 04*

Post by hppav »

Got some more updates on the Visitor Center today. For a sense of scale, the player character would be 2/3s the height of the doors cut into the back of the building in this first shot.

This'll give you an idea of what the rear of the Visitor Center is like :P And no, I'm not going to tell you what the door and stairs link to.. yet. :P

Hmm, I wonder what room this is :P

As you can see, the delivery dock has been cut into the wall. The fun part will be making the doors for it and the truck dock :sick: Maybe make them multiple boxes and have them be "electric" where when you push a button it'll play an ASA animation of each segment of the door rising until the door is open then hit the button again to play another animation of the door segments lowering until the door is closed.
Draconisaurus wrote:Very nice, very nice :P Where's that logo going?
Somewhere :wink:
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 7-30-09 *back to VC*

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice, nice.. Erm, anyone who's been following your work closely knows exactly where those stairs and door go :P
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:Erm, anyone who's been following your work closely knows exactly where those stairs and door go :P
They come from the Control Room and 2nd floor access hall, what I meant was where do they go :P And I have an idea of what is there that I didn't share with even you :P

EDIT: Prepare to have your mind "explodd in space."

I'm sure many of you remember the old Visitor Center I made that looked near perfect but lost, right?:

Well, I found an old unfinished version and fixed it. Here it is... IN THE GAME!!!!:

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 7-30-09-2 *MOAR VC!!!*

Post by Second Illiteration »

Looks pretty. Can't wait to see it finished
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh,crap... that looks too good.
Draconisaurus wrote:Nice, nice.. Erm, anyone who's been following your work closely knows exactly where those stairs and door go :P
Indeed. A place which can be very problematic when it comes to FPS, as someone else found out some time ago.

Wait... you mean on the outside?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

machf wrote:Oh,crap... that looks too good.
Yeah, I was a tad worried that it might be too much detail but it works well. Of course my comp is a beast of a rig compared to most so if it runs well on mine it might not on others. That's what internal Alpha Testing will be for.
machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Nice, nice.. Erm, anyone who's been following your work closely knows exactly where those stairs and door go :P
Indeed. A place which can be very problematic when it comes to FPS, as someone else found out some time ago.

Wait... you mean on the outside?
Yep, I have an idea for what can go there but I won't reveal it :P

Anyway, here's some updates. I imported the rear half of the Visitor Center now and scaled everything properly so that everything is the right proportion compared to Anne.

Sure it looks just fine from a distance but...

I guess there's a limit to the number of material IDs that the TPM Exporter with export or GeomAdd will import? I guess I'll have to "fix" each room and reimport them again (luckily I have all of the positioning done roughly and only have to copy the pos, rot, scale of the original room and apply them to the new import of the room.

I feel like I'm on drugs... Ceiling tiles for windows? Carpet for wall covering? Floor tiles on the ceiling? Unpossible.

The Kitchen (even without doors) came out wonderful. I didn't put the ceiling tiles in yet though.

The rear came out decent as well.

The control room has an issue where the wood's been replaced with the floor tiles.

The exterior, largely, looks alright. I'll need to make some adjustments so that everything lines up with each other though.

Here's the front with the scale fixed for the Explorer and the Visitor Center.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 7-31-09 *Visitor Center*

Post by Draconisaurus »

Cool, cool.. The rear section looks a bit high, seeing as the top floor of the back is supposed to be the same height as the second floor of the main hall o_O;;

As for the texture ID screw-up.. that's a funny one. We should look into it together.. I wonder if it has anything to do with missing IDs. Max, for example, is capable of having material IDs in a multi/subobject material be.. ANYTHING you want. The whole set could be, 1, 3, 5, 12, 13. But Trespasser/scripts won't like that, and you could for example end up with the higher materials being thrown back to fill the missing numbers.. and then the model IDs would be even more screwed. But I can't say without more evidence. :P I just know that I've used MaxScripts to import/export TPMs with around 15-20 map IDs in a single material (that example would be the jeep, when I went to correct the backwards logo on the door). Hopefully it's not a GMax bug - we've already tackled issues with its ability to export materials, hopefully there's a work around whatever is causing this issue..
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:Cool, cool.. The rear section looks a bit high, seeing as the top floor of the back is supposed to be the same height as the second floor of the main hall o_O;;
It only looks high, the height of the main hall (below the rotunda) is that dark line in the texture. The interior of the rotunda is suspended below the exterior and has false windows that are illuminated panels. And the height is correct for the second floor in the back. You can tell if you look at how the interior sits inside the exterior. I may lower the roof over the Visitor Center tour since it likely wasn't that high though. Plus how can the back be the same height when the interior of the second floor is two stories tall in the Genetics Lab and the access hall while the first floor is one story tall throughout :P
Draconisaurus wrote:As for the texture ID screw-up.. that's a funny one. We should look into it together.. I wonder if it has anything to do with missing IDs. Max, for example, is capable of having material IDs in a multi/subobject material be.. ANYTHING you want. The whole set could be, 1, 3, 5, 12, 13. But Trespasser/scripts won't like that, and you could for example end up with the higher materials being thrown back to fill the missing numbers.. and then the model IDs would be even more screwed. But I can't say without more evidence. :P I just know that I've used MaxScripts to import/export TPMs with around 15-20 map IDs in a single material (that example would be the jeep, when I went to correct the backwards logo on the door). Hopefully it's not a GMax bug - we've already tackled issues with its ability to export materials, hopefully there's a work around whatever is causing this issue..
All of the meshes have the same Multi/Sub-Object material. I would bet that the unused materials (since not every mesh uses all of the materials of the scene) in that material are overriding the used ones somehow. I will likely have to create new Multi/Sub-Object materials for each room and apply them accordingly. It'll take a while but that'll likely fix the problem.

EDIT: Also, the VC Tour roof is the only part of the rear portion of the Visitor Center you can see from the front. If I lower it then it will match the movie that much more :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

hppav wrote:All of the meshes have the same Multi/Sub-Object material. I would bet that the unused materials (since not every mesh uses all of the materials of the scene) in that material are overriding the used ones somehow. I will likely have to create new Multi/Sub-Object materials for each room and apply them accordingly. It'll take a while but that'll likely fix the problem.
Aha, yes that should do the trick. Up the well.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

OMG! That looks really good! :o
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Been working on the Visitor Center some more. I killed the test level I had because I put 17 physics objects to a single mesh which is apparently a no-no (and no one told me :P) and then accidentally saved over it by the "load another level" error because I fail :sick:. So I started a new level with a completely flat terrain and started shaping it around the Visitor Center for better presentation.

Here's the kitchen. I have the new ceiling tiles in as well as some of the doors cut out. The doors to the cafe look a tad bit thin to me so I might change them when I go to add occlusions to the cafe. The kitchen has an occlusion mesh.

Here's the cafe with the textures fixed, looks much better :P

And here's the exterior shot from my signature.

There's a video that uploading now to YouTube, when it's done I'll post it here. Keep in mind that the texture work still needs to be done in a couple spots and the majority of the Visitor Center is unfinished. I have started adding detail to the receiving area but forgot to take a new screen shot but it does appear in the video.

EDIT: The video is uploaded but hasn't been processed yet. I've got class to go to so it might be processed already if you check the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1by_PAP_F2A
I plan on adding annotations to it later when I get back.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return of hppav's updates! Update 8-3-09 *VC Video*

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ahhhh, the video really helps put all the images together, thank yee... 8) Damn, the main hall is HUGE!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Draconisaurus wrote:Ahhhh, the video really helps put all the images together, thank yee... 8) Damn, the main hall is HUGE!
I started putting the interior together and it turns out that the main hall was incorrectly sized. :P

EDIT: I hope to have some in game shots of the new main hall once I'm done. I'm having a hell of a time getting it all to fit together. I had to decide which one was more important, the exterior or the front of the interior of the main hall. I hope it's obvious which one I chose :P Though the final result isn't too different from the set, anyone who is crazy for detail can tell the difference though. *cough*Draco*cough*

The main hall's depth has dramatically decreased (easily halved since the original version) and it's starting to come together rather nicely all things considered.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good.. And I just want to suggest here that the image-updates be kept to weekly, except for milestone breakthroughs, so people don't get tired of seeing it, and you don't get too distracted.. ;)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

can't wait to be chased by raptors inside there